Law Office of Jose Saud - Family.
Hablamos Español

Relatives for Whom You (U.S. Citizen) May Petition:

v Spouse
v Children (unmarried and under 21)
v Sons and daughters (married and/or 21 or over)
v Parents, if you are 21 or over
v Siblings, if you are 21 or over

The term “immediate relative(s)” is used to define certain immigrant relatives of U.S. citizens. Immediate relatives include:

v Spouses of U.S. citizens
v Children (unmarried and under 21) of U.S. citizens
v Parents of U.S. citizens (The petitioning citizen must be 21 or older.)

For immediate relatives of U.S. citizens, visas are always available, which means that your family member does not need to wait in line for a visa.

If you or a member of your family is in the U.S. military, special conditions may apply. See the “Citizenship” section of the website.
As a green card holder (permanent resident), you may petition for certain family members to immigrate to the United States as permanent residents.

You May Petition For The Following Family Members:

Spouse (husband or wife)
Unmarried children under 21
Unmarried son or daughter of any age

If you or a member of your family is in the U.S. military special conditions may apply to your situation.

When petitioning for your relative, the following preference categories apply:

v First preference: Unmarried, adult sons and daughters of U.S. citizens. (Adult means 21 or older)
v Second Preference (2A): Spouses of green card holders, unmarried children (under 21) of permanent residents
v Second Preference (2B):  Unmarried adult sons and daughters of permanent residents
v Third Preference: Married sons and daughters (any age) of U.S. citizens
v Fourth Preference: Brothers and sisters of adult U.S. citizens

A visa becomes available to a preference category according to the priority date (the date the I-130 was properly filed).
This page provides information for U.S. citizens wishing to bring a
foreign national fiancé(e) living abroad to the United States to marry.

If you plan to marry a foreign national outside the United States or
your fiancé(e) is already residing legally in the United States, you
do not need to file for a fiancé(e) visa.

If you petition for a fiancé(e) visa, you must show that:

v You (the petitioner) are a U.S. citizen.
v You intend to marry within 90 days of your fiancé(e) entering the
United States.
v You and your fiancé(e) are both free to marry and any previous
marriages must have been legally terminated by divorce, death, or
v You met each other, in person, at least once within 2 years of
filing your petition. There are two exceptions that require a waiver:
  1. If the requirement to meet would violate strict and long-established customs of your or your fiancé(e)’s foreign culture or social practice.
  2. If you prove that the requirement to meet would result in extreme hardship to you.
Authot: Rabbitboy (Own work) [CC-BY-SA-3.0 (], via Wikimedia Commons
Copyright © Law Offices of Jose Saud 2014 / Rights Recerved / Web-Site by Rafael Computers LLC


301 59th Street, West New York
New Jersey 07093
(201) 758-8020

Monday - Friday: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed